Your Butterfly Drawing Is Complete
Butterflies are absolutely beautiful creatures. They are pleasing to look at and seeing them just simply makes your day brighter!
Hopefully, with this step-by-step butterfly drawing tutorial, you can learn how to draw a butterfly so you can always have one by your side at all times!
We think this artwork would look great to be hanged up on a wall once its colored and framed. It will definitely make a great decoration for the interior of your house.
What do you think? In which part of your house do you imagine your butterfly drawing would look best? Perhaps in the living room or in your bedroom?
We cant wait to see your colorful butterfly drawing!
How To Draw A Cute Butterfly Cartoon
If you want to make a cute cartoon version of your butterfly I can do so be following the same steps in this tutorial!
Just change the following things:
- Make the body smaller
- Make the head and wings bigger
- Add two big eyes to the head
If you follow these steps, you might end up with a cute butterfly like this:
How To Draw A Butterfly Step By Step Easy And Fast
Posted on Published:
Sharing is caring!
Before figuring out how to draw a butterfly lets learn just a little about these beautiful flying insects.
Like all insects, they have a;segmented exoskeleton, three-part body , three pairs of jointed legs, and compound eyes.;They also have;two antennae and two pairs of scaly wings. The wings of butterflies are the most beautiful part of their bodies that most of the people would like to draw and color.
If you dont want to follow butterfly drawing steps on this page and prefer practicing on paper, then you may How to draw a butterfly easy and fast printable step-by-step guide here.
As we have mentioned before, a butterflys most dramatic and beautiful anatomical features are its wings. The wings are made of an extremely thin, semi-transparent material called;chitin;stretched between vein-like structures.;
The colors and patterns come from layers of tiny;scales. You may think that they are similar to fish scales, but theyre structured more like short, tiny hairs. These scales protect the wings and provide insulation.;
Don’t Miss: Drawing Of Question Mark
How To Draw Butterflystep By Step Drawing For Kids
How to draw Butterflystep by step drawing for Kids | Butterfly drawing | Easy drawings for beginners
Hey kids lets try to do some easy and simple drawing. Learn how to draw butterfly step by step, butterfly drawing, easy drawings for beginners, how to draw a butterfly step by step for child, how to draw butterfly very easy, drawing for kidseasy step by step, very easy drawing for kids, how to draw a butterfly on a flower, drawing and painting for kids, butterfly drawing images easy, easy drawings, how to draw, how to draw butterfly step by step, how to draw butterfly, how to draw a butterfly, how to draw a butterfly step by step, how to draw butterfly easy, step by step, drawing for kids, drawing, how to doodle butterfly step by step, how to sketch butterfly step by step, how to colour butterfly step by step, butterfly drawing, how to draw butterfly for kids, easy drawing for kids, draw, step by step drawing, butterfly drawing for kids, drawing for beginners, draw a butterfly.
#howtodrawbutterfly #butterflydrawing #easydrawingsforbeginners #butterflydrawingeasy #howtocolorabutterfly
Follow along with us and learn how to draw.Join with us to have lot of fun.
Interesting Facts About Butterflies
Every butterfly species is unique. Similar to snowflakes, no two butterflies have the same pattern on their wings.
Butterflies go through a process called metamorphosis. Theyre born as crawling caterpillars and change into fluttering butterflies.
Did you know?
- Butterflies have exoskeletons, which means that their skeletons are on the outside of their bodies.
- Butterflies are coldblooded. They need warmth from the sun to fly. They will not fly unless their body temperature is at least 86 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The size of butterflies can range from 1 inch to 12 inches.
- Butterflies hide from enemies by changing their appearance to blend into leaves, bark, and other surfaces.
- Butterflies live on every continent except Antarctica.
- Butterflies taste with their feet and they have four wings. Their wings consist of tiny scales, each a different color.
- There are thousands of species of butterflies. In most species, the female is larger than the male, and females usually live longer too.
The butterflys diet includes the nectar of flowers, juice from rotting fruit, and water. They sip the liquids through a tube. Butterflies are like humans when it comes to sleep. They are active during the day and sleep at night, usually sleeping in grassy areas or underneath leaves.
Read Also: Lion Step By Step
Interesting Facts About Butterflies:
- The average lifespan of a colorful butterfly is one month but small Butterflies you spot on the flowers may have a very short life span of only about one week.
- The largest butterfly in the world is Queen Alexandras birdwing .
- The smallest known butterfly in the world is the Western Pygmy Blue Butterfly .
- The butterflies life cycle has 4 distinct stages that are;
- The tongues of butterflies function like a straw. So they extract nectar from the flowers and this nectar is actually the butterflies diet.
How To Draw A Butterfly
This step by step drawing tutorial will show you how to draw an easy butterfly.;
The type of butterfly this resembles is that of a Monarch Butterfly. It goes along with my step by step;Monarch Butterfly Painting Tutorial.;
Drawing butterflies can be kind of tricky because you need to repeat the same exact lines so they are symmetrical on both sides.;
Draw lightly with pencil first on a sheet of drawing paper. You may need to sketch the line a few times before you get the desired one so have a good eraser handy too!
All the detailed lines on the wings look intimidating but if taken one step at a time, it actually isnât too hard.;
Read Also: How To Draw A Wave Step By Step
How To Draw A Monarch Butterfly
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
According to National Geographic, “The monarch butterfly is one of the most recognizable and well-studied butterflies on the planet.” It is famous for its epic seasonal migration, in which “millions of monarchs migrate from the United States and Canada south to California and Mexico for the winter.” Monarch butterflies also live in Europe, Australia, and several Pacific islands.
Each butterfly begins its life as a caterpillar. Caterpillars hatch from eggs and feed on the milkweed plant – the only plant which these young butterflies can eat. After a few weeks, the caterpillars encase themselves in a chrysalis. Their bodies practically dissolve and reform into that of the adult butterfly.
Did you know? Milkweed gives monarch butterflies a special defense. The butterfly stores toxins from the plant in its body. This makes them taste bad and even poisonous to birds.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Butterflies have long been seen in artwork. Some of the oldest dates from 3,500 years ago. In many cultures, the butterfly symbolized the soul. Today, butterflies are still a common motif in jewelry, clothing, décor, and other items.
Butterflies are also seen in animation. In Disney’s A Bug’s Life, Heimlich the caterpillar dreams of becoming a butterfly. When he finally does, his wings are tiny compared to his large body.
How To Draw A Realistic Butterfly:
Step 1: Draw a small circle, and 2 diagonal parallel lines, one going from the circle. Draw an interesting line in between these 2 lines.
Step 2: Following the outline draw 2 arcs on both sides of the head. Below it draw 2 angular ovals of different sizes.
Step 3: Extend the wings curve towards the thorax with the curvy line.
Step 4: Below that wing draw another curve for the second wing. Draw chambers of the thorax as in the image.
Step 5: With wavy lines draw the wings realistic.
Step 6: Start drawing patches of the wings with random angular shapes.
Step 7: Draw the patches in the lower wings also and add small random shapes all over the wings.
Step 8: Outline all the borders and add random long leaves from all sides of the paper.
Step 9:; Contour your wings, abdomen, and thorax with hatching.
Read Also: How To Draw A Beach Ball
Basic Instruction For How To Draw A Butterfly
Before starting your colorful butterfly drawing work, you need to keep in mind some basic instructions necessary for enhancing your drawing capabilities. These easy guidelines will help the kids and beginners to draw pencil sketches with fun.
Instructions to improve drawing skills:
- As it is said practice makes a man perfect. So is the case in the drawing. Draw again and again until you reach near the perfect line.
- Use your observation power and search for drawing images, landscapes, cartoon images, etc.
- Take art lessons.
- Keep a drawing pad with you always.
Things you need for insect drawing:
The art material required to draw a sketch of the beautiful butterfly is:
- A clean sheet of paper/drawing pad/sketchbook
- A fine sharpened black pencil
- An eraser
How To Draw A Butterfly Very Easy
In this step-by-step drawing instruction, I will show you how to draw a butterfly very easily.
This very cute and beautiful insect can look very different.
I have previously shown the process of drawing a butterfly for kids. There was the simplest version, in which there were few details, and the drawing itself was very simple. This sketch will be a little more complicated. Here I decided to make more complex details and shapes.
Don’t Miss: How To Draw A Simple Fox
How To Draw A Butterfly:
1. Begin in the centre of your paper with a small circle. Try using a pencil for these first steps and go over the lines with a bright colouring pencil of felt tip pen afterwards.
2. Then draw the butterflies body in the shape on an elongated oval with a pointed tip for the tail.
3. On one side of the body, draw a large circle for the top of the wing.
4. Repeat on the other side so the butterfly looks symmetrical. If youre struggling to draw the circles accurately, use a round object like a cup to draw around. Add two more circles underneath to complete the set of wings.
5. Draw two antennae on top of the butterflys head. You can draw small circles at the top or a spiral if you prefer.
Instructions For How To Draw A Butterfly
1. Fold a paper lightly in half both ways or lightly draw a cross line that divides the middle.
2. Draw the body and head of the butterfly in the center of the vertical line.;
3. Draw two curved lines starting just under the head and going to the upper left and right corners. Then draw an inverted curved line that starts at the bottom of the body.;Try your best to make your lines as symmetrical as possible on both sides of the middle line.;
4. Connect the wings by drawing a wavy line that goes diagonally inward. This step may take a few practice sketches with your pencil before you get it right. Remember to also get these lines to be as symmetrical as possible.;
5. Draw a set of antennae on the head. Then draw two symmetrical large loops on the inside of the wing staring at the top.
6. Draw two more loops that are going kind of horizontal in the middle of the wings. Make sure the base of the loops match up with each other.;
7. And then draw loops on the bottom part of the wings.;
8. Then two more loops for a total of 4 symmetrical loops on each side of the wings.;
9. Next draw three diagonal lines that connect the edge of the top loops to the wings.;
10. Continue to draw more diagonal lines from the edge of the loops to the edge of the wings. Do two diagonal lines on each of the loops as pictured below.;
11. Finally draw a border all along the outside edge of the wings.;
See How To Paint A Butterfly
Recommended Reading: How To Draw A Skull Side View
Butterfly Drawing Easy Methods : How To Draw Butterflies Step By Step
Butterflies are so beautiful and graceful to watch. If butterfly drawing is what you want to do, then you have come to the right place.;; I have put together a step-by-step tutorial that will help you figure out how to draw butterflies / moths by using simple shapes to build up their forms. This is an easy tutorial that even young kids can draw.; Even some really younger children and preschoolers might be able to draw a butterfly if you stand by to help with the instructions. Enjoy!
You Might Also Like Our Cartoon Butterfly Drawing Tutorial
Add Outer Patterns On Its Wings
Repeat the previous step by drawing another symmetrical shape in between the inner outline we drew in the last step and the edge of the wings.
If you want to make your butterflys wings appear more dimensional and realistic, you can draw multiple veins on each wing. Butterflies naturally have straight lines visible on their wings and its called wing veins.
Read Also: How To Draw A Brain Easy
Some Facts About Butterflies
There are almost 18,000 butterfly species;around the world.;An adult butterfly has a very short life span of;three to four weeks. Some butterflies, such as the North American Monarch that migrate to a warmer climate, can live as long as 7 to 8 months in one generation if counting;the entire life cycle of a butterfly.;
Monarch butterflies migrate to find a warmer climate and they are the only insect that migrates an average of 2,500 miles to get away from the cold.
Here are some fun facts:
- Butterfly wings are transparent;
How To Draw A Butterfly Step
How to draw a butterfly isnt a hard job to do.; come with me. i will teach you how to make drawing easy.
Hello little artists! Are you thinking about making a beautiful drawing today? Great! You are at the right place then. Here in this drawing tutorial, you will learn how to draw a butterfly step by step.
Also Check: How To Draw A Simple Horse
How To Draw A Butterfly Step By Step
Butterflies are a wonderful drawing subjecttheir wings have a certain pattern that can be reduced to a few rules. Once you know the rules, you can draw a realistic-looking butterfly without any special drawing skills.;
In this tutorial I will show you how to draw a monarch butterfly step by step, right from scratch. You can also modify my method to draw any other butterfly!
Learn How To Draw Cute Animals
Did you have a blast creating this cartoon butterfly? If so, you are likely thinking of what else you should draw. To get more tutorials, I recommend How to Draw 101 Animals by Dan Green.
This book will show you how to draw 101 animals step-by-step. It is easy enough to follow for both children and adults.
If you enjoyed this butterfly drawing tutorial, be sure to let me know in the comments what else youd like a tutorial for. ?
Read Also: How To Draw Someone On Their Knees
Go Over The Illustration In Ink
Once you’ve finished your pencil drawing of a monarch butterfly, you can find your favorite pens and begin going over the graphite lines with ink.
After you’ve gone over the outline in pen, slowly begin filling in the pattern with black ink. Remember to check back with your reference photograph often at this stage to ensure you’re capturing the design correctly.
Tip: If you want to add depth to a white area of a black and white illustration, consider using stippling or hatching. This is also a useful way to indicate the delicacy of the butterfly’s wings.
Want to embellish your monarch butterfly? An easy way to do this is by adding a simple black border and placing a few sparkles or bubbles around the body and wingslike fairy dust. Or, if you’re searching for a way to complete your illustration, you can learnhow to draw a rose and other types of flowers that your butterfly would love to visit.
Simple Step To Learn How To Draw A Wonderful Butterfly
Lets start your insect drawing. Be relaxed. Use your miraculous skills and have fun.
Start your cartoon butterfly drawing by making a small circle suitable for the butterflys head. Dont make it extremely small. Butterflies are one of the most beautiful creatures of God.
Draw the eyes of a butterfly by making two small and equal circles on top of the previously drawn circle. These equal circles drawing should be in a way that they slightly overlap each other and also overlap the first circle drawn.
Step 3: Its time to make some refinements in your step 2. Take a close look at; step 2 while working on step 3. You will get the refined work indeed.;
Color the butterflys eyes with black to draw a real butterfly. Complete the head by sketching the smiling face of your butterfly. Keep on making this easy pencil drawing.;
Hold on, also search for how to draw a butterfly on a flower.
Its time to make a segmented body of the butterfly. Draw a small oval shape to make the 1st segment just right below the face. See the image.
;Step 6:Now draw the butterflys segmented body. Outline two ovals vertical to each other, the above one attached with the head of the oval. Also, sketch a carrot-shaped segment at the end of two ovals just drawn.
Are you enjoying the fantastic art tutorial for butterfly beautiful drawing? I am sure you are! So lets keep it continued. Follow the next steps to learn how to draw a butterfly for kids.
Don’t Miss: How To Draw Among Us Character